Saturday, September 21, 2013

"D" (Writers of Kern A-Z Blog Challenge)




Drawings by Kehlee the Troll of Nordrassil

          “Crasten, report!”

          “Yes, sir! The scouts saw Hammond’s cavalry circling around back to the south, about a thousand in all and I don’t know where they came from. General Jackson’s fallen and it looks like the Shix’ton found out. They’re gonna aim for the south flank next.”

          “And our numbers?”

          “Hard to say, sir. The south was scattered on the pull and without Jackson to lead a regroup before the cavalry gets there, they’re gonna have quite the battle without question.”

          “Anything else?”

          “They’ll need help if we’ve got it.”

          “What about you, Reems?”

          “I’ve lost about a fourth of the pike and two–”

          “Shields up, boys! Arrows above! Get ready!”

          “…fourth of the pike and two thirds sword, sir.”

          “What about the Shix’?”

          “At least double that. But the ghouls keep swarming out of the castle gates and reinforcing. Hell, some of them are jumping off the battlements and crashing down on us. It’s madness up there, sir!”

          “Do we know who’s summoning them?”

          “There’s wizards inside, we know that, but that’s a lot of power being put into this horde they’re creating; they’ve got to be draining by now.”

          “Sir!”

          “Sarah! My, it’s about time you got here! What can you tell me? What did you find out?”

          “There’s two wizards in all. I didn’t see either of them while I was scrying, but I could feel their power throughout the castle.”

          “Any word from the Aerials?”

          “The riders managed to get their dragons healed in Caer and they should be in the air by now, but I haven’t seen them on the skies.”

          “Alright boys, we’re up against a wall. We need to get through those gates, and now! Reems, those ghouls have got to stop coming at some time; two wizards can’t keep up that level of channeling for much longer. Try to batter them down; get as close as you can get to the gates in preparation for the Aerials when they get here. Sarah, get word to their riders that I want another hole torn through that god-dammed castle wall. Have them do it right next to the gate, out of reach of the ghouls but still close enough to our forces. Reems, as soon as you see that wall open up, I want you to peel off the main gate and charge the opening. Crasten, you and I are going to go save the south flank. Grab Charles’ pikeman and whatever swords you can find along the way. Go around the left, I’ll take the right with half of our main and we’ll meet up on the other side, hopefully right as Hammond attacks. We’ll flank him and end it once and for all. The rest of the main are with you Reems, get inside those walls! Let’s go!”

"D is for Dialogue"
(And sort of for dragons 'cause they're cool.)

6 comments:

  1. I agree...dragons ARE cool! Lol! I like the dialogue exercise...have done it myself a couple of times...great practice for building believable back and forth conversations...that said I really wanted some narration to flesh out the scene...don't suppose you'll be doing another post with narrative detail? Might be interesting to compare. Happy writing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to explore the Aerials. They have really piqued my interest and if I can fit them into another letter along the way, I surely will.

      Delete
  2. I had to laugh, Jason, because I was thinking "nice dialogue" then I got to the end and read: "D is for Dialogue." I like the names you're using. Thanks. xoA

    ReplyDelete
  3. You build tension and excitement with that dialogue, too. Nicely done. Dragons are cool-especially Smaug. One thing that makes them cool is their historical track record. It's interesting how many cultures have dragons in their legends. I've always supposed that dragons come from ancients trying to rationalize the bones and skulls of dinosaurs with their imaginations; that slim connection to truth (the bones) gave their stories power and resonance beyond most fantastical creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the dialogue. I'm pretty terrible at coming up with believable-sounding back and forth conversations between characters, but you did a wonderful job with it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dialogue. Even though there is no real description of setting, I could picture everything in my mind based on the conversations.
    The worlds you create are full of imagination and never-ending action.

    I feel each time I read one of your posts, I'm on a journey, but without a map. But, by the end you've taken us somewhere amazing while engaging the reader again and again.

    ReplyDelete